My friends Isa and Angelika have a friend named Putu. He seems American in his motivation. Most Balinese are very easy-going, live on very little, and don't aspire to much more. It's not a bad thing. In fact, it's one of the charms of the people here. It will be said “Bali time” can be frustrating. The sense of urgency is...non-existent. Putu is not like that. He has several businesses both here and in Lombok and he is generally not a creeper at all. He is in real estate, buying property, building villas, selling for lots of money, as well as glass blowing and silver smithery (is that the worst English ever? Sorry.). We've been to several social events due to our mutual friendships but have never spent time alone together. I don't know him well, but I would say I know him. That's the buildup. :)
One night I am in CP Lounge and most of our group had gone home. Putu stops by, we say hello, and he asks if I would FINALLY like to see his villa. We had several failed attempts to see it, so I thought, sure! Why not? He's a nice fellow (this doesn't end bad, no worries). Off we go to his AMAZING villa with a giant swimming pool, gorgeous open living area, huge kitchen, blah, blah, blah. I take a dip in the pool (I had my bather top on anyway so not scandalous. And underoos, of course!!) and he gave me his shirt as a towel. Very gentlemanly! We take a look at the bedrooms (hesitation is setting in) and I am standing about 15 feet away from him when the following transpires:
Putu: Do you want to marry me?
Kirstenonashoestring: Ummm...what, sorry? I didn't hear you, I don't think.
P: Do you want to marry me?
KOAS: Putu, you barely know me!
P: I know. I like your skin.
KOAS: You like my skin.
P: Yes. It's nice.
KOAS: Oh.
P: You seem like a sweet girl, too.
KOAS: Oh. Well, as compelling as this sounds, I must decline. Can we go back to Ubud?
P: You can have the villa.
KOAS: …
P: Would you like to live here? I live just up the road.
KOAS: I can live here without you?
P: Of course. I have to live with my wife.
KOAS: Wait a sec...didn't you just ask me to marry you?
P: Yes, but it's normal. My wife is like my sister. You can be my other wife. And live in the villa. But don't get too brown. I like your skin the way it is.
KOAS: Putu, thanks for asking, I think. But I think we should just go back to Ubud. It's a lovely offer and I'm sure some other girl will think it's a great plan.
P: Do you know anyone who might be interested?
KOAS: Not currently but I'll be sure to let you know if I find anyone.
And that, shoestringers, is how I could have lived in a $1 million villa (which in Bali is like living in a $10 million house) and become kirstenonaleatherloafer. Alas, I will departing Bali shortly for other odd adventures. Just to close out the story for the desperately curious, Putu has found a Canadian mistress but sold the villa. She actually left her husband for him! I wonder if he promised her the villa? ;)
One night I am in CP Lounge and most of our group had gone home. Putu stops by, we say hello, and he asks if I would FINALLY like to see his villa. We had several failed attempts to see it, so I thought, sure! Why not? He's a nice fellow (this doesn't end bad, no worries). Off we go to his AMAZING villa with a giant swimming pool, gorgeous open living area, huge kitchen, blah, blah, blah. I take a dip in the pool (I had my bather top on anyway so not scandalous. And underoos, of course!!) and he gave me his shirt as a towel. Very gentlemanly! We take a look at the bedrooms (hesitation is setting in) and I am standing about 15 feet away from him when the following transpires:
Putu: Do you want to marry me?
Kirstenonashoestring: Ummm...what, sorry? I didn't hear you, I don't think.
P: Do you want to marry me?
KOAS: Putu, you barely know me!
P: I know. I like your skin.
KOAS: You like my skin.
P: Yes. It's nice.
KOAS: Oh.
P: You seem like a sweet girl, too.
KOAS: Oh. Well, as compelling as this sounds, I must decline. Can we go back to Ubud?
P: You can have the villa.
KOAS: …
P: Would you like to live here? I live just up the road.
KOAS: I can live here without you?
P: Of course. I have to live with my wife.
KOAS: Wait a sec...didn't you just ask me to marry you?
P: Yes, but it's normal. My wife is like my sister. You can be my other wife. And live in the villa. But don't get too brown. I like your skin the way it is.
KOAS: Putu, thanks for asking, I think. But I think we should just go back to Ubud. It's a lovely offer and I'm sure some other girl will think it's a great plan.
P: Do you know anyone who might be interested?
KOAS: Not currently but I'll be sure to let you know if I find anyone.
And that, shoestringers, is how I could have lived in a $1 million villa (which in Bali is like living in a $10 million house) and become kirstenonaleatherloafer. Alas, I will departing Bali shortly for other odd adventures. Just to close out the story for the desperately curious, Putu has found a Canadian mistress but sold the villa. She actually left her husband for him! I wonder if he promised her the villa? ;)
2 comments:
Kirsten you could have owned a villa?? WOW Did it come with servants? Yearly income? Think about the travels. Oh wait - you already travel.
I know, i KNOW. I really did consider it. But...no servants, no yearly income, and no getting a tan. I'd have to go swimming in the dark all the time! And the cost...free, but not so free at all. I was considering all the people that could come to visit me in my amazing villa. But, as always, self-centered me thought only of herself. It's part of my charm and don't you forget it! ;))
Post a Comment