Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tales from the Crypt

Just to clarify-when it rains here my downstairs location and jungle view makes me FEEL like I'm in a crypt. I'm not really living in the crypt (phew).

There are some things you never expect. As a partially-reformed workaholic, one of the great pleasures of life is discovering the enjoyment of sitting quietly. I have been laying rather low here, spending my days on my first “real” holiday. No schedule, no list of things to see and/or do, no hurry. I sat on my terrace for hours, drinking languid cups of coffee, reading books, looking at my view, listening to the occasional bit of music. Mostly I enjoyed the silence (I thought a musical reference was apropos). It was an odd experience for me, the first 3 weeks here. I mostly tried to avoid meeting new people. Isn't that strange? Those who say I can't be quiet, consider this a lesson learned!! When I finally came out of my shell, I met really awesome people (upon whose fabulous qualities I will extoll later). They, of course, weren't local. I met some locals, some great, but most of them tried to kiss me or claim me as a notch in their “western belt.” (If you need clarity, let me know, but I reckon you'll get my drift.) Initially I was annoyed. But then I decided not to worry about it. I just said “not interested, here's a hug!” and it worked. It WORKED! Now I am friendly with almost everyone and no one (except for the local drug dealer, who for some reason hasn't given up yet) attempts such ungentlemanly behavior. Hooray for hugs! Laugh if you will people, a little hug goes a long way. Of course, it could be that I am taller than most of those I hug and I do have boobs...oh well. Let me believe it's the former, not the latter, with thanks. :)

No comments: