Today was such a good day. Excellent breakfast, lovely tour, good company...
I am now sitting outside on the terrace at my hotel. It's so quiet here, just the occasional passing car or barking dog. It is not cold outside, just cool and comfortable, and I have a multitude of stars as companions. A peaceful night, and perfect. Almost. I was wishing that mom could see it. I know how much she would love this bizarre landscape, and while I don't often crave company, I would give anything for hers. As a result, I have decided to say publicly words I would never have the courage to say privately. My voice would fail me. My fingers will not.
Many here have asked me what my mother must think of a girl (gasp!) traveling alone. I tell them (and I am continually surprised at how open one can be with perfect strangers) she is ecstatic, and happy for me every day. Then I am asked what is she like? I tell them she is the person I can call when the day is crap, and she'll let me complain endlessly, knowing eventually I'll come to my senses. She is supportive, and protective, but I am her daughter so I have her strength. She is proud of me, always, even when I don't deserve it. And she gives the best hugs. No two people could be luckier than my brother and myself to have been born to her. She feels exactly that way about being a mom to us.
Do you remember the book you gave me? The Mothers and Daughters book? It said a mother wants to give her daughter wings. And you have. Thank you, mom, for not only giving me wings, but for teaching me not to be afraid to use them. So later, if you look at the night sky, look for Orion. He is there, warrior and protector, looking at us both. The world will seem so much smaller.
I miss you. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment