Well, I have now left Istabul for destination number 2, Canakkale (pronounced “Ch;” I don’t have the ability to make the little buddy on the bottom of the C for pronunciation purpose). This city is useful only for going to visit Troy, or shopping, if you’re into that. Not shopping for trinkets, really, but for clothes, shoes, etc. I visited Troy today, which was interesting, if only for the pure historical significance of it. I mean, talk about old…so cool, but more on that later.
So, Istanbul. Well, every monument costs money to get into, which is sad, but a girl can get free tea and coffee just about everywhere, which is positive. Everyone knows how I feel about the coffee, and Turkish tea is actually really delicious, too, so it worked out pretty well, I think, in the end. What I saved on hot beverages, I was able to spend on historical entrance fees. Clever, no? J
I saw so much of the city—I took a road trip with new friends to the Black Sea, which would have been my favorite part, if the older brother of my crush weren’t trying to court me. Talk about ruining my life! As a result, Yilmaz (my crush) is not allowed to court me—some kind of weird family rule. Oh well. I think we’re working on it, but our language gap makes it difficult. Isn’t “court” the funniest thing in world? Who even says that anymore? But I can’t think of any other words that really describe his behavior. You know, dinner, flowers, trips to beautiful ruins by the Black Sea…anyway, despite all of that (would it be my life if it weren’t oddly complicated? Honestly, I must be the world’s biggest drama queen, and it’s totally unintentional), it was awesome, and when I have a better connection, I will post a ton of pictures that I have. I also got to see the highest point of the city of Istanbul, where the remains of the first Ottoman castle still stand. You can see almost the entire city…I got to go there on a private tour, as I made friends with a guy who has a car and driver. We also went to this beautiful hill with a café, gardens, and lots more beautiful views.
My favorite part, I think, was meeting a Turkish family in their home. My new friend Fatih took me to meet his aunt, uncle, and cousins, and they were so warm and lovely. His little cousin, Ozge (it should have 2 dots over the “O”), who is 17, was so sweet! We have adopted each other as sisters, and have started emailing each other. We took pictures, which I sent off, and they gave me an invitaion back anytime I am in Istanbul. Ozge speaks only a little English, so Fatih translated for us. His English isn’t perfect, so it was hard for him, but it was such a great time anyway. They made tea, we had sweets (cookies), and had just a lovely evening. I had a really rough day that particular Monday—just tons of getting harrassed in the street, tons of creepies who wouldn’t leave me alone. I barely got to see any sights, as I kept getting dragged around by men who wanted me to purchase wares in their shops. Then my crush’s older brother tried to hold my hand and I just about lost my mind! I was truly hating Istanbul, until I met these wonderful people. I got some sleep that night, and woke up feeling a lot better about the state of the world. I decided to spread my sunshine (in my sunny yellow skirt; mom, you know the one!) around the city, and I got offered a job. Depending on how much money I spend getting around Turkey, I may go back from Greece and take them up on it. Just working in a café, in Sultanhamet (the main tourist/attraction area of Istanbul), no Turkish required. I’ll keep everyone posted as to how that turns out.
See? Already I am planning a trip back there. If there weren’t a job, I would definitely say no. I could only keep it for 2 months, as I will have spent 3 weeks in Turkey by the time I get back. A visa is only good for 90 days. I am not too sad about that. Since I know how to save money on hot beverages, I should be able to save a decent amount of money. Anyway, let’s see how the rest of this leg goes!
Overall, I ended up really enjoying the city. Once I figured out how to deal with all of the street hustlers, which wasn’t until the very end, of course, everything was fine. The good news is that if I go back, I know I will be looked after by just about everyone. I made friends with a few shopkeepers, and because they know other shopkeepers, they just tell them to back off (I think, or it could be something more along the lines of “I am already courting her with my tea so please give a fella a chance”—darn my lack of Turkish!).
Oh, some Turkish words I do know, and that don’t really help at all:
Besc (“besh”): five
Pisek: cat
Guzel: good
Tamon: yes
Nah: no
I know, I know. Incredible ear for language, this one. :)
So, after Canakkale, I am heading on an overnight bus to Selkuk, where I will see tons of ancient remains at Ephesus. From there to Pammakale, land of natural thermal spas. On to Antalya…I don’t really remember what is there, but I will figure it out, I’m sure! Then to Urgel, in Cappadocia, then Marmaris, then a ferry to Rhodes, Greece. Then Athens, then…well, we’ll see where next!
I am going to finish my coffee at my hostel, and then I will be off to drop my bags (me and Alan, a Scotsman who is making the same journey as me, at least from here to Selkuk) at the bus station, then finding some food, then getting snacks…then we have to hang out until 11:00 somewhere, as our bus is an overnighter. It saves money on accomodations, you know?
More later, and pictures too!
No comments:
Post a Comment