Monday, March 24, 2008

Troy

"'What to do,' you thought.
Climb Mt. Fuji, go wrestle with the 3-toed minataur?
Strive to break the gates of Troy?
Or from the jaws of suffering, snatch joy.
Or from the jaws of suffering, snatch joy."

So random, this (probably misquoted) quote, but everytime I hear the word "Troy," this pops into my head. It is from a poem called "Upon Hearing of James Baldwin Dead," published, I think, in the Atlantic Monthly. Did I subscribe to that in high school? You can bet my nerd glasses I did! Anyway, it always stuck with me, and I thought it would be fun to share...this also may confirm the fact that I am slightly mad. Does that happen to anyone else? A word you hear sets off a poem, a song, a sentence in your brain? For example, if I hear the name Hannah, I start singing (in my head, though let's be honest, sometimes out loud) a song called "Hannah." Maybe it's just me. This sets off another song, and that is how my day goes. Hey, perhaps this explains my fast talking! There really IS too much going on in my brain!! Oh, sweet epiphany. Ok, enough. Here are pictures!


The photo with the orange rock is the field where Achilles killed Hector...





T


Clearly that's me, enjoying the theatre. :)





The walls are still really thick, which explains the difficulty in breaching them 2500+ years ago. :) This view is NOT the length; that is the width, honestly. That's a wall, no?

The red is actually caused by fire (these stones were once burned).
Less than 15% of Troy has been excavated. Because of all the layers of different cities, it is an excruciatingly time-consuming process. As is the case in archaeology, presumably...






The city was rebuilt a total of 7 times, and you see some of that depth as excavation continues. The theatre is still great, huh?



Beautiful...



This urn is almost 3000 years old. It served as a refrigerator, buried underground, which is how it is still so well-preserved.

No comments: