Thursday, March 6, 2008

New York, New York, New Jersey

I woke up bleary-eyed on the airplane earlier this evening, confused and mildly unconscious. I saw a volcanic landscape, simmering orange with fiery bursts, like lava steaming and starting to cool. Once I got my bearings, of course, I knew exactly where I was (not Hawaii!). There was the bright red light of the Empire State Building, there was that strange and empty hole where the World Trade Center used to be.


I love New York.

Not one for the sprawling metropolis, I should clarify: I love certain parts of New York. The Upper East Side, and the Upper West Side; Central Park and all of the Museums that are its neighbor; walking towards the UN Building; USTA grounds in Queens; Brooklyn Heights; Fifth Avenue during Christmas...the list is fairly long, and nowhere near over! Sigh.

Granted, I am en route to New Jersey; that means so little since NJ houses not only the 2 NY football teams, but also a NY metropolitan airport (Newark). I'm pretty sure Connecticut doesn't end up being just a suburb. Poor New Jersey! Such a bad rap. I am going to see the beach house (my friend Jason's family owns a {newly renovated} beach house on Long Beach Island) while I am here, and I'll be sure to post pictures for Non-New Jerseyites who may not know how lovely the Garden State can be...

1 comment:

Swiftyjess said...

I had a great time the 24 hours I visited you in New Jersey/New York.
Can't wait to see the photos!
Jessica