Wednesday, April 9, 2008

To Maine, With Love

Well, all of my North Dakota brethren, I have some big news to share. Let me preface the news with a little background story:

Random person: Where are you from?
Kirsten on a shoestring: The States...America.
Random person: AMERICA?!?!? Oh...which part?
KOAS(ha!): North Dakota.
Random person: ...
KOAS: North central plains, right in the middle, by Canada.
Random person: ...Canadian?
KOAS: ummm...sure.

Another example:
Fellow American Backpacker: Which state are you from?
KOAS: North Dakota.
FAB: WHAT? You guys never leave the plains!
KOAS: ...
FAB: I mean, no disrespect or anything, I've just never met anyone from North Dakota. Is that where Mt. Rushmore is?
KOAS: ...
FAB: ...
KOAS: That would be South Dakota.
FAB: Sorry, you know, I've never been there before.
KOAS: No worries, but you should go sometime.It's actually quite lovely.
FAB: Right. North Dakota...Fargo, like the movie, right?
KOAS: ...

Anyway, you get the idea here. North Dakota is not a frequent stop on the travel express, though I, as my New Jersey brethren (and anyone I have met on the road) know, strongly feel it should be. I love the grasslands, and the open beauty of the plains. I hadn't seen western ND until last year, on our family trip to Wyoming, and it seemed every blade of grass was more beautiful than the next.

Imagine my surprise on the bus two nights ago, sleepily talking to my seat neighbors, to find a fellow from Maine who has been to (twice!) and loved North Dakota. Loved it! Maine, being full of natural beauty, is a favorite state of mine. I think it is a favorite of many for just the same reason. Hearing a compliment on North Dakota's natural beauty, from a native Mainer...well, I think it's just tops.

Here's to our friend in Maine, who has been to all 50 states and loves ours more than others. Cheers to you, and we love you for more than just your lobster aprons.

P.S. I also met a man from Queensland, Australia, who passed through ND on a train. How famous are we? Pretty soon, people will be able to find us on a map. :)

2 comments:

Swiftyjess said...

Some day we'll go to North Dakota. We have to go to Grenora at some point.
Want to meet up with us?

Kirsten said...

Of course I do!! That would be perfect. You just let me know when. I'll get out of Turkey at some point (and maybe even have some lira to show for my efforts!). :)