Well, I was born in a fairly small town. I lived in the rural zip code of a very small town. I understand both the positives (safety, everyone knows you) and the negatives (always being safe, everyone knowing your business) that are associated with that.
Selçuk is a city of 23,000 people, according to wikipedia. The locals say around 30,000. I feel like it's more like 1000. Of course there is more than that, but it sure doesn't feel that way. Ivana, who I will be working for, and Denise, the wife of the "main guy" that works here, have been absolute loves, bringing me around town, showing me where the cheap corner stores are, where the supermarket is, and introducing me to people so I will get treated like a local and not a tourist. That being said, I have met a ton of people, including market owners, bar workers, police officers, travel agents, tour guides...and everyone knows everyone.
What does this all mean? It means that when a tall and handsome fella asks a girl and says the word "date" and it is overheard...it means that everyone in town (and especially in the hotel!) knows about it. And talks about it. And teases us both about it. And tortures me about it. And, and, and...my hair got done, my wardrobe got changed, I had my tan lines (on my face, still there from Greece) covered by makeup, I had dinner suggestions, concerned employees wondering if he was a Turk (he was not!). Wow. All I could say was this:
IT IS JUST DINNER!!!! DINNER!!! JUST DINNER!!!!
Bless the sweet fella, he was a good sport, declaring our betrothel, our 50 years of marriage, and 4 kids that all happened within 12 minutes. It was the horrifying moment from 80's teen angst films, when the cute new boy meets the obnoxious father, the moment Elizabeth Bennett realizes her family is a total embarrassment. We snuck out of the hotel and then snuck back. I should say this: he was a guest here, so it isn't as scandalous as it sounds. In the morning, during breakfast, people were playing fake violins near us, asking us all sorts of embarrassing questions (did you stay in his room? Oh, in her room? WHAT????????? You were BY YOURSELVES??????????...and things I will not post, as I love my family and have blushed enough).
When I said "enough!" I was told in a loving manner by all of the married girls they couldn't help themselves, he was such a good boy and so NOT Turkish. They just wanted things to go well because he was such a gentleman, and did they mention how he was not Turkish? And how he is such a good boy? Denise may get a tattoo on her shoulder of an angel with the name "David" inscribed below it. I love these girls, I really do.
But...
It was just dinner.
I do, however, appreciate the support. And my hair did look fabulous, as did my skin, without being overdone. So, thanks Ivana for glamming me up a bit.
It was just dinner. But as far as dinners go, it was one of the best I've had in a long time. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment