Sunday, December 26, 2010

Bali Hai!

Northern Australia, taken from the airplane.

I love the screen that shows you where the heck you are. I, as you can see, was nearing Bali. :)

The garden of the bungalow I'm staying at.  All this beauty, plus a private room, private loo (with hot water shower), breakfast, and free tea and coffee all day, for the bargain price of only $8.  I know.  It rocks.

There was a huge rainstorm my first night here.  This is some of the leftover rain at a very early hour in the morning.

My sidewalk after a massive rainstorm. It's paradise, even with all the water (maybe because of the water?).

Rice terraces.

Workers in a rice field.

Tampaksering's Temple. 

The devoted (Hindus) and wannabes (tourists) converge under the fresh spring (holy) water from the mountain.  Each stream of water has a different purpose, such as bringing health after sickness, restoring your outward appearance to your inner youth (so if you are a crotchety old soul it would not be recommended...), etc.

Praying at Tempaksering's Temple.

The beautiful carved interior of the temple.

Ummm...ok.

Funny fruit on the outside, crunchy, chewy and strange on the inside.

The holiest mountain in Bali (it's also a volcano).

A temple statue within the Monkey sanctuary.

More views of the temple...

Monkeys!

More monkey.

Isn't he so thoughtful looking?  I like that monkey best.  Well, besides the really cute baby monkey coming up...

Mama and baby.

Another temple in the Monkey sanctuary (there were 3, I think, plus a place for cremation ceremonies).

Beautiful wood carving at a different temple (the Balinese are very religious, clearly).

Sorry-I forgot who this was. Siwa?  I'll find out.

Another gorgeous garden, at another gorgeous temple.

The same temple, also with holy spring water.

These little critters stay alive for approximately 1 hour.  They flutter around the light, die, and get eaten by lizards.

That's all that remains...the geckos hadn't gotten to them yet.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pictures KB. The bungalow looked awesome and so cheap to. Was it as nice on the inside? How did you celebrate the New Years? Will you be getting to the Australian open?

Kirsten said...

It for sure wasn't as nice on the inside, but I DO have a giant bed which is pretty awesome, and a hot water shower which, essentially, rocks. :) I had a nasty bout of the flu on New Year's eve, so I rang in the New Year with a bottle of water and some global company (Italy, Russia, Argentina, France, Australia, America). Then I yacked with a depressed Aussie guy and was afraid he was going to want to marry me. You know, the sadder the dude the more he loves me! ;) But it turned out ok. I got rescued by a group of really cute Dutch kids. More details to follow!! How was YOUR new year?

Kirsten said...

P.S. Australian Open...ARGH! It will ruin my budget if I go. :( If only I wasn't so slow! I thought about trying to sell myself...