Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sydney recap, then moving on and moving up (I'm going to the Northern-most point of New Zealand!).

'Allo loves,

I will be sans internet for a few days, up to a week, as I am off to my first camping adventure.  So exicted!  Initially I was not impressed with Sydney. It was just another big city. But it definitely won me over with its beautiful harbor, green space, interesting architecture, and friendly people.  I will happily spend a day or two upon my return before flying back to the States.  Must sees:  The Blue Mountains and some kind of a performance at the Opera House. I'll have to see how funds are looking next spring-neither of those activities are shoestring friendly!

Tomorrow I leave for Kaitaia, which is the starting point for my trek to Cape Reigna.  The Cape is sacred to the Maori, as a jumping point for their souls to the afterlife.  It should be remote and amazing.  I plan on taking a shuttle up to the Cape, spending 3 or 4 days camping and trekking (there are several treks available), and then head back to Kaitaia.  From there...I'm not sure yet! I'll make a decision before the day is through though, just so I have some plan in mind upon my return from camping.  I'll stay on the Northern Island-I think a National Park trek might be in order next.

In case you are interested in more specifics, here is a link so your inner nerd can shine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Reinga

I will post the rest of Sydney pictures and hopefully some amazing NZ photos as soon as I can. Thanks to everyone for the support!

Until we meet again,
Kirsten

2 comments:

amyk said...

While I love to hear of all your travels, I'm very disappointed. I just discovered that I have no one to go with me to Wally to pick out hair color. I so hope I don't end up looking dreadful. I'll keep you updated. Take care and be safe. Please don't end up in some rat-infested jail!

amyk said...

I love that it says that I left that last post at 1:16am. Anyway, love and hugs (I can SAY hugs, I just don't GIVE hugs)