Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Does anyone else find it strange that I think cockroaches add charm to a place?

My hostel totally had cockroaches running around.  I assited in a kill.  Here's how it happened (brace yourselves):

I was washing glasses, preparing to spend my last night in Sydney drinking goon (the very cheap boxed wine available across the street at Liquorland Express, no joke).  My drinking companion said to me, "hey,  check this out."  I turned around, confused, and he was pointing at the ground.  There was a cockroach, and I am telling you it was totally staring at me.  I said "eek," or something that sounded more like my inner Baggatta, and I moved to the table to put the glasses down.  When I moved, the bloody cockroach turned its creepy antennae to follow me!  Luckily, my drinking companion suddenly smashed it with a chair.  Neither of us wanted to have it crawling into the goon. Sadly, it didn't die right away.  Another chair smash, no death.  Last chair smash, and I took what was left of it and put it into a plastic bag. I don't think it was dead!  It was (relatively) safe in the rubbish, but then its friend started trying to escape from the bathroom.  Girls squealed and I felt considerably less pansy-ish, as our killing of the 'roach felt like something straight out of old-school Sicilian mafia. That might have been the goon talking.

That, friends, is how I spent the beginning of my last evening in Sydney.  :)