My dearest friend, Amy Denise D.K. (to preserve her privacy, as if the entire world doesn’t know who she is already!), is not a touchy-feely sort of girl. As I make friends with locals in Selcuk, I understand why.
I like giving hugs. Really! I think hugs are totally underrated, and sometimes I would like to have 7 per day. I got used to the “kiss on the cheek” greeting from years of living in New Jersey, though I can’t say it’s a habit I kept and brought back to North Dakota.
Well, here, it’s hugging. It’s kissing on the cheek (twice). And then…it’s hand-holding…and hands on thighs…and back rubbing… Are you freaked out yet? That’s what happens with WOMEN! Really, I was nervous that I was giving off a vibe. You know…a vibe!! I have no problems with that sort of thing, except I really do love boys. Of course they are buggers! But that’s just the way it is. Apparently, the same can be said for the ladies here. There is no fishy business going on, no quasi-lesbian come-ons. It is just a touchy-feely sort of culture. I noticed, then, as I’ve been thinking about this (as I am chronically disturbed and long for the safety of Amy’s home), that men walk down the street arm in arm, they hug each other, a perfunctory part of the day. So Amy, my advice is this: do not move to Turkey. You may get mauled and have your thigh rubbed because you’ve become such good friends with someone, they may spontaneously kiss you on the cheek and start to rub your back because they just plain old love you. Your discomfort level will skyrocket, as will your blood pressure. As you are my dearest friend, I wanted to give this information to you in a public forum, so others will know and stop any notions you have of moving here…and then getting robbed, swindled, and molested, like your old friend Kirsten. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment